I am not a vegetarian, but I definitely don’t need a big piece of meat every day. And there are so many great vegetable dishes that are totally worthy of being served as a stand-alone meal! Today, after a beautifully sunny day, I felt like making ratatouille, which I think is a typical summer dish. Yum, so good, I really enjoyed it! 🙂
And it is so easy:
This is what you need:
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 big onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 big eggplant
- 2 zucchini
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 good dash white wine
- 5 tomatoes
- salt, pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
This is what you do:
- Fire your cauldron, cut up the onion and garlic and roast them in olive oil for a few minutes.
- Add the eggplant (cut into 1 inch dices) and continue for another 10 min or so, stirring from time to time. Add a little more olive oil if needed, the eggplant tends to soak up quite a bit.
- Add the bell peppers and zucchini (also cut into 1 inch chunks/slices) and roast everything for another 10 min.
- Add the white wine and the tomatoes (again: 1 inch chunks), put the lid on and simmer until your preferred consistency is reached. I prefer my veggies not too mushy, so I gave them about 10 min.
- Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Enjoy with fresh white bread or rice.
I find the leftovers are also really good as a cold snack. Or I might have them as a side with a nice piece of fish. Let’s see…!