Happy Easter, everyone!
Paul and I blew out some eggs yesterday and had lots of fun painting them!
And I think that little alcove beside the stairs is just the perfect spot to display our little Saturday arts project! 😉
Enjoy the long weekend!
While the monster is starting to walk, he is still moving around enough on all four to get his pants really thin and sometimes even holey around the knees. So, another pair of pants needed a repair. And even though I really enjoyed that little monster patch I made last time, I preferred a quicker solution this time and therefore decided to use double-sided fusible interfacing. Just cut out whatever shape you like, then iron it on – so easy! And I even had some fabric in just the right color! You must think my fabric stack is huge, but it’s actually not… 😛
I guess I could also just have cut some simple ovals… but I didn’t 😉
Paul made me a very special birthday present this year. He built some plywood houses for me!
Some time ago, we were thinking of making some house shelves for the kids room, but then he figured that I would certainly like them a lot more than the monster and he was so right!!
Paul let me chose the colors and I decided for a white interior and clear lacquer for the roof and sides. And after I found that I had some cute little cardboard boxes that just fit perfectly (magic!), the largest house also got an additional floor. So this weekend, the house shelves got sprayed and hung up over my desk. And aren’t they so beautiful?! 💛 Can’t wait to fill them with more sewing and crafts supplies!
Last weekend we got a kids’ car seat for the monster because he outgrew the infant car seat. And he really seamed to enjoy the test drive on our couch and looked so proud sitting there, upright like a big person!
But even better was the box that the seat came in, which made all previous diaper boxes look so tiny and was perfectly sized for a little housie. For a nicer look, we flipped the box inside out and as soon as the doors and the windows were cut, Yannick was already in it. And while the planters were added, the Sharpie may also have caught his hand once or twice…
Ever since, the monster has pushed his house around and also managed to flip it over a few times while climbing through the windows. But most times he would just bring some toys in and simply hang out in his new home – or play peek-a-boo with Oma and Opa.
But he still joins us for breakfast most days… 😉
One stereotypical thing many German expatriates seem to miss most is their bread. And I guess it’s true, I’m one of them. Not that there’s no good bread in Canada – I have found some amazing kinds with olives, nuts, cranberries and other goodies. Just when it comes to the typically German, heavy (!) sourdough rye bread, that is a real rarity here. So I suppose making my own bread was quite logically the next step. I have actually tried once ore twice before, but not with satisfying results… But this time, I had Maike’s recipe, so chances for success could hardly be better! 😉
Last time they were here, my parents brought some sourdough starter. And now that they’re here again, two days ago we started the process by mixing that starter with rye flour and water and let it sit over night. Yesterday morning we made our own spices mix grinding some caraway, fennel and coriander seeds – honest physical labor… 😛
We then added these spices, some salt, wheat flour, more water and lots of sunflower seeds to the rye dough and kneaded everything together. Because we only had one baking dish, I cleaned two former tomato cans which I also lined with butter and mixed grains (poppy, sesame and caraway seeds).
After letting the dough rise for another 6 hours it was finally baking time! And look at this beautiful crust!
And this morning we enjoyed a really nice breakfast. With cheese, prosciutto, honey and – you can probably guess – lots of homemade jam! 🙂 And everybody liked the round slices! So I’m actually considering always making canned bread from now on, it also seems to be a good size for two people and a perfect freezer portion.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the starter for our next baking session: a sample that I took from the rye mix and covered with water. I’m curious to see this work but until then, the jar will have to sit and wait in the fridge.
Thank you Maike for your recipe and detailed advice!! You definitely helped us bring some great feeling of home onto our table! 💛
UPDATE (22 May 2016):
I had completely forgotten to provide you with an update about our experience with using starters for the following batches. It works great! Thanks again Maike, now we’re self-sustaining rye bread bakers! 😀
Here is a picture from our last batch a few days ago: