Apple patches

There was another pair of pants with Swiss cheese knees that needed mending…

I didn’t want to just do the standard ovals, but wasn’t up for anything too time-consuming (like the little monster patch I once made). And since my fabric choices were limited to denim and some red twill, I went for a pair of apples. In order to get a clean edge, I backed the twill with a piece of fusible interfacing when stitching the apple contours on, then flipped the patches inside out and ironed them on. As the heat didn’t travel well enough through all the layers to make the apples stick nicely everywhere, I ended up hand-stitching all the way around. That certainly doubled the project time but I like the rustic look and I think it looks great with the little leather stems! Here’s a close-up of my charmingly uneven stitches (which also reveals that I could have used a lint roller prior to taking the picture… 😋).

When the big monster saw the result, he immediately took his sweat pants off in exchange for his new old pants. That totally made my day – he even called them “fancy pants”! 😎

Oven mitts

We had a lovely visit with Paul’s cousin today. I immediately thought of her when I saw that fabric in the store a little while ago. It is actually not quite as pale as in the picture but rather a light sage tone, and it is covered with the English and Latin names of different fruits and herbs. So I thought it would be perfect for a nice pair of oven mitts. And since it is baking season right now… I hope you’ll have lots of fun with them, Angela! 🤗

Time for dragons

There was another baby born last month, so another cuddly toy was needed. This time I chose to make a dragon. I went for knotted paws again (this time I made sure they were long enough for easy knotting… 😋) and he also got the same striped belly as Pepe’s little bear. The pieces were a bit more intricate, especially the wings and the spikes along the back, but the fleece’s stretch was helpful and somewhat forgiving while flipping and assembling everything. The head got a little bit of padding, but overall it’s another really flabby fellow. But a cute one, isn’t he?! 🤗 So, sweet little Jakob, I hope you’ll like your new friend!

The initial inspiration for the dragon came from these two fabrics that Paul found a few months ago. Beer-drinking knights might not be the first thing that comes to your mind when thinking of babies, but I think they’re a great motif for a bib – so that’s what I made as well. 😉

I also wanted to add something for Victoria, Jakob’s older sister, before sending the parcel. Pre-Christmas season in Germany is also Plätzchen season and assuming that the 5-year-old lady enjoys baking I chose to make a little apron. The dimensions are mostly identical to Yannick’s apron plus some extra length of course. The tiny strawberries are maybe not exactly a winter theme but I just liked the pattern so much. For an extra girly touch I also added some pink scallops to the front pocket and I find they make for a really charming detail!

Congratulations to the whole family again to the arrival of the youngest one!! 💛